Friday, February 19, 2010

Alexander McQueen - interrupted talent





Last Thursday the fashion world was caught by assault with the sudden death of Alexander McQueen...My level of perplexity was such high that I couldn't even process the news.  The designer killed himself by hanging. His mother died on last February and its possible that he lost himself when he lost his mother. It's deeply sad to realize that such talented person will no longer provide beauty to our eyes and to our senses.  I wasn't a big follower of his carrer but I had such admiration for his ability to transcend design concepts and bring surrealism to the fashion world.





The latest issue of Womens Wear Daily brings the designer on its cover and an pays homage to
his work with a 8 pages tribute. I am sure all the most important magazines will release a special issue on upcoming weeks.

I selected few moments of his extraordinary craftmanship and mindblowing design approach.

   
                                             Shipwreck - Spring 2003.




                                             "the girl who lived in the tree "- Fall 2008.




                                    A fashion illustration by R. Toledo for Nordstrom -  2003 


My fellow designer Margot Potter wrote a beautiful post on her blog in homage to McQueen, check it out.